Examine the statements below and check which ones apply to you. Score yourself 1 point for every YES answer. Add up your score to assess your risk of developing diabetes.
- I weigh at least 20 percent more than my ideal body weight.
- My close relative has diabetes (parents and/or siblings).
- I often feel thirsty.
- I wake up to urinate two or more times each night.
- I am tired most of the time.
- I have experienced unexplained weight loss.
- I have pain, numbness, or tingling in my feet.
- I sometimes experience blurred vision.
- I am over 40 years old.
- I am of Native American, Hispanic, Asian, or African-American descent.
- I have high blood pressure (over 140/90).
- I have elevated levels of cholesterol (over 200 mg/dl) or triglycerides (over 150 mg/dl).
- I am a woman who has had a history of diabetes during pregnancy or more than one baby weight over 9 pounds at birth.
Your score: ____
If your score is three or higher, we recommend a fasting blood glucose test.
Please call Diabetes Education Center of the Midlands at (402) 399-0777 for more information.
Outcomes from the Diabetes Prevention Trial show the benefit of lifestyle changes in prevention of Type 2 diabetes. Individuals with pre-diabetes who exercised for 30 minutes at least five days per week and followed a healthy eating plan had a significant reduction in diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes when compared to those in the control group.
Normal Blood Glucose Levels
Fasting: 70–99 mg/dl
Two hours after eating meals: less than 140 mg/dl